Monday, April 16, 2012

In what way would you like to improve as a teacher? How do you think this course will help you to improve?
I find myself in a bit of a conundrum because I feel so 20th century in my technological skills and would like to learn more so that I can have more options my teaching methods; however, I teach Middle School PE and have reservations about bringing technology into the athletic arena. One thing the students I teach can do is use the computer in a variety of ways to accomplish a variety of goals, but what far too many cannot do is track a ball in flight and catch it with their hands. They do not necessarily grow up playing ball with their dad or siblings in the park; they spend more time in after school educational programs than engaged in physical activity.
I would like to improve my knowledge base of computer (apple) applications, to incorporate technologies such as coach's eye that might give students more immediate, visual feedback of their physical mechanics in PE activities, but I don't want them to go home and spend time watching these videos. They don't need to be looking at a computer screen any more than they already do, particularly with the assignments they are expected to accomplish from their core classes. I want them to go home and practice the cues I taught and demonstrated to them. I hope this course is able to provide ways that I can use technology effectively in PE without detracting from the actual physical practice of the lessons and skills taught in class.

3 comments:

  1. I have many of the same concerns that you mention although I teach English at a Korean public elementary school. I do use technology during my teaching (recording student speaking, using a blue screen to do roleplays, etc) but I am not sure how I can get my students using 'technology' themselves. My students have no access to computers when they are in class with me, and they all take the mandated computer classes at school, with many doing extra after-school courses as well.

    Quite frankly, I am more concerned about speaking and listening in my classes because each home room class gets just one period a week in the English classroom with me. This mirrors your concern and how you say you want to stay focussed on the core of your subject area, such as throwing and catching a ball.

    I do put audio files on soundcloud for my students to listen to at home, but this is not having the students use technology to create or manipulate material.

    I do feel that as a teacher I use technology effectively for my instruction, but I am lacking in how I get my students to use technology themselves. I am looking forward to learning ways that I can successfully do this and still remain focussed on giving the students the skills and practice with English that they get for just forty minutes a week in my class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I somewhat share your sentiment regarding the time students spend in front of the computer. However, there is still room for technology in PE. If not directly with your student, you could use your knowledge in different applications to help you organize and manage feedbacks, evaluations, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in a similar situation, Tim. For my own professional development as a teacher, I'd like to learn more about different ways to use technology in the classroom. However, I don't think bringing tech into the swim class would be beneficial to the students learning of a practical skill. They could probably identify stroke technique mistakes on a computer screen more easily than they could learn to do the strokes themselves. It's more important for them to be able to do it rather than watch, though. I agree that Coach's Eye seems like a program that could enhance student learning through tech, which is the point of using it anyway.

    ReplyDelete