Monday, April 23, 2012

My favorite tool that I've learned in class:
The Garage Band turns out to be my favorite, yet I still haven't thought of how I can apply this into my lessons or work as the Activities Coordinator. I had a great time, albeit at the expense of sleep, making my own track. I've always wondered how to use it and had tried to use it hopelessly last year. I wound up giving up on it because without any tutorial, I couldn't get anything out of it.
One thing I tried to do with it was cut a piece from a song that I wanted to use in an iMovie project I made using photos from Middle School athletic events throughout the year. I wasn't able to cut the song the way I wanted to, and thinking back, I am pretty sure I would be able to do so now. I may even be able to cut in a quiet, non-intrusive sound effect now if I am unable to match perfectly the front portion and end portion of the song remaining after I eliminate the middle. I suppose, while not in the classroom, that I will be able to apply this to editing music in order to better fit the movie/pictures that I am playing for the Middle School kids to see.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't tried to use garage band yet, but i also would like to start learning more about it and how i can incorporate it into my class. However, for me, rather than using parts of a song, i want to be able to cut dialogue from video clips like "Friends" and use this dialogue to help me teach my students pronunciation and the natural way we speak English. ESL books teach students to talk like robots and i really need a tool that can help me break them from this habit. If you figure out how to cut pieces of sound let me know and i will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tim,
    You could also do school announcements from garage band!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had garage band on my computer for 2 years and never tried it. I had heard great things from fellow teachers who have used it but for a similar reason to you, I was never taught and without a tutorial I was nervous to try it. I made my voice track in GarageBand and I could just see the possibilities that it held. I could see many hours spent on this program playing around and trying to find the "right" sound. Good luck trying to implement it to your job as an activities coordinator. And I think Sarah's idea of using it for school announcements would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome. If I were PE teacher, I wouldn't know how to incorporate Garage Band into my class. But somehow you figured it out.

    ReplyDelete