Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What are some ways that "digitizing" assignments will improve your teaching, class, or your organization?
As the Middle School Activities Coordinator, I am responsible for announcing when after school programs are available, but in order to ensure that parents are aware of their child's participation in this activity, I am required to obtain parental permission. Furthermore, students are responsible for signing a contract, a form which explains the manner in which they are expected to conduct themselves while engaged in any given activity.
Currently, these are given as handouts, with an explanation of the activity for the parents to sign and on the reverse side, the behavior guidelines contained within the student-contract. Kids far to often lose (misplace) their sheets before it returns to me; they also give it to me at random times as I am parading around the school; they place it in places I would not expect one to place such forms. If I was able to digitize these forms, which I do not want to and should not eliminate, I would not only reduce the recycling once they become irrelevant, but also greatly simplify my distribution and collection of said forms. It would make it more accessible to the participants while relieving me of the burden of giving them another form to replace those that have been misplaced.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea. You could include in the form where parents could email their consent in the activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only issue I would have (I have thought about this before) is being able to ensure that the parent him/herself is the one actually giving consent, and not the student.
      We had an issue a few years ago, I'm unsure of all details as I wasn't really involved, with a student writing an email using an account in his mother's name...turns out he'd created the account and proceeded to write the email.

      Do you have any methods or suggestions by which I could guarantee that the parent/guardian was indeed the one who "signed" consent?

      Delete